Ranger RL-8500 Combination Brake Lathe
The revolutionary RL-8500 combination brake lathe uses independent DC servo motors to control the cross-feed and spindle feed drives, eliminating the need for complex mechanical gear boxes and transmissions typically found on mechanically-driven brake lathes.
An Exceptional Brake Lathe for Every Shop
The ruggedly built RL-8500 brake lathe is capable of faster, easier and more accurate rotor/flywheel and drum/flywheel resurfacing than any other brake lathe in its class. Infinitely adjustable feed rates allow you to easily modify cut speeds with the simple turn of a dial. Now you can reduce or increase the cut-time for the best finish results, whether you're speeding through an initial rough cut or a single-pass micro-finish. This complete lathe package includes the lathe, a sturdy bench and large tool storage backboards, so you can hang all your adapters within close reach.
One of the common problems that plague other brake lathes is the vibration and chatter transfer that directly affects the tool-tip and leaves an imperfect cut on the machined surface. The RL-8500 brake lathe by Ranger is specifically designed to address this issue by eliminating the need for gear-driven mechanical drives and variable-speed transmission devices.
Ranger brake lathes replaced antiquated transmission/gears found on other brands. You would be surprised if you stood back and watched a brake lathe machine finish a cut on a rotor or drum or flywheel. Brake rotors are very smooth—at least, they should be. If you were to turn a rotor on any lathe then drop a hammer on the floor next to the lathe, you would see a noticeable degradation of the cut at the moment of impact. Vibrations cause frequencies, which get transferred to the finished cut. Because the Ranger RL-8500 brake lathe does not use gears and transmissions, we completely eliminate multiple frequencies that could degrade the machining finish. The formation of surface roughness is usually the result of the tool feed rate, spindle rotational speed, tool geometry, material properties and relative tool-work vibration. With Ranger, vibrations and chatter from gears, bearings and mechanical drive parts are eliminated. Remember, these are the same vibrations that are often transferred to the tool-tip, leaving irregular cuts on the machined finish.
The RL-8500 brake lathe upgrades everything: more features and versatility, better performance, superior utility and the most productivity you’ve ever imagined. That’s what makes this one of the soundest investments for yourself and your business.
Simple, durable, trouble-free
Ranger brake lathes are easy to operate and durable enough to withstand the everyday abuses of a busy shop environment. A super-heavy, hardened, forged cast iron body combined with precision ground components and massive "floating spindles" make this one of the most dependable and trouble-free machines you will ever own.
A tradition of service
Superior quality, durability and precision—that’s what makes Ranger the growing choice of professionals worldwide. Whatever your brake service needs may be, you can rely on Ranger to deliver the right equipment for the job. As a preferred supplier of quality automotive service equipment, our goal is simple: give our customers the best quality and value while providing unparalleled service and support. Why does Ranger offer you so much more? We don’t just believe in developing superior products, we believe in creating solutions that make your job easier.
Since its introduction nearly four decades ago, the design of our RL-8500 combination brake lathe has been a favorite of brake technicians everywhere. It's simple, it's fast, it's precise and it runs forever. It features our twin-cutter tool head with micrometer dials and quick drum-to-rotor changeover. The adjustable speed settings allow you to quickly rough-cut rotors or slowly give them a fine, smooth cut. An infinitely adjustable spindle-feed gear box provides variable speed settings, providing finish cuts that meet or exceed factory specs. Our negative rake tooling yields one-pass finish cuts every time, and the standard 1" arbor provides you with a multitude of tooling and adapter choices from either Ranger or other aftermarket suppliers.
Transmission-free, dual servo motors
The absence of gear-driven mechanical drives and variable-speed transmission devices reduces service and repair costs dramatically over the unit's lifetime. The revolutionary RL-8500 brake lathe uses independent DC servo motors to control the cross feed and spindle feed drives, eliminating the need for complex mechanical gear boxes and transmissions typically found on mechanically-driven brake lathes.
Heavy-duty bench included
While others charge extra, we include this sturdy steel bench with large tool storage backboards, so you can hang all your adapters within arms’ reach. A durable multi-compartment toolbox provides storage for all adapters and accessories. Large chip "catch" funnel and chip bin keeps work area clean and safe.
Easily change from rotors to drums (and back)
A convenient quick-change tool-head design allows operators to quickly change the setup from drums to rotors and vice-versa. Upfront controls are designed for minimal operator movement. A handy tool tray is located near the front of the machine, so you can keep your favorite brake lathe tools nearby.
Fully equipped tooling package comes standard
Includes micro-dial twin tool cutter, boring bar, inside floating adapters, self-aligning spacer, outside floating adapter, centering cones, spacers, double-taper adapters, hubless adapters, carbide cutting tools, 6-sided carbide cutting inserts, 1" arbor, arbor nut, backload spring, spare bulb for lamp, illustrated instruction manual, wrenches, high-impact anti-vibration bands and plastic storage case.
Safe and easy to use
Our sensible ergonomic design allows you to work quickly and efficiently. Simple upfront controls are designed for minimal operator movement. A large bench with tool storage boards provides ample space for adapters and accessories.
Adjustable work lamps
Dual LED extra-bright work lamps keep both sides of the rotor and your work area properly lit, even in the darkest corners.
Let the chips fly
Large chip "catch" funnel and bin keeps work area clean and safe.
Optional truck adapter set
Our super-duty adapter package consists of an upgraded 1-7/8" arbor and a wide variety of adapters. This enormous multi-piece set allows you to expand the coverage to handle virtually any vehicle, all the way through full-size commercial trucks.
Features and Specs
The RL-8500 brake lathe simply offers more - more features, more performance, more utility, more flexibility and more productivity than you’ve ever imagined. That’s what makes this one of the soundest investments for yourself and your business.Features
- In contrast to mechanically-driven transmission and gear boxes, the RL-8500 uses precision electric DC servo motors designed to meet the demanding requirements of industrial motion control
- Quick-Change Adapter-Plus system with built-in springs eliminates the need for conventional bell clamps and cones.
- Works on all cars or trucks, both foreign and domestic, with hubless drums, rotors (center hole sized 2-5/32" – 4") and composite rotors (center hole sized 4" – 6-1/4")
- The RL-8500 is equipped with features that help increase your service capability, like precision twin cutter tools and a quick drum-to-rotor changeover
- Infinitely variable spindle and cross feed speed settings allow for quick rough and precision finish cuts
- Simple ergonomic controls are designed for minimal operator movement
- Legendary control makes unit easy to learn and master.
- The RL-8500 maintains accuracy year after year thanks to ruggedly constructed components, like a hardened, precision ground spindle that resists grooving and makes boots a thing of the past
- Massive tapered spindle bearings offer superior weight support during rotation
- Our exclusive "splash-lube" oil-feed system supplies a constant flow of oil to the bearings making sure they provide years of trouble-free service
- Serpentine belts provide a faster, quieter operation, reducing chatter and vibration •An independent cross-feed motor eliminates the need for plastic or bronze shear gears which are expensive and time consuming to replace
- A convenient top storage tray means your popular adapters and tools are kept within short reach
- Separate motors on the drum and rotor feed help maximize the main motor's efficiency
- Our deluxe standard adapter package includes a Quick-Change hubless adapter system that makes mounting rotors and drums quick and easy
- A variety of adapters let you machine all standard and composite rotors for foreign and domestic cars and light trucks
- A 450-lb. cast iron body and a solid work bench reduces transient vibrations, ensuring a smooth uninterrupted surface finish with each pass
- Easily change arbor speeds in seconds: choose 150 or 200 rpm depending on the job
- Positive rake cutter tip angle provides for a 1-pass finish virtually every time, allowing you to complete your work faster than with inferior multi-pass lathes
- Optional truck adapter kit available
- Motor Drive Unit: 115 - 230 VAC, 50-60 hz, 1 Ph, 20 amp
- Max Rotor Thickness: 2.5" (64 mm)
- Max Rotor Diameter: 17" (432 mm)
- Brake Drum Diameter: 6" - 28" (152 mm - 711 mm)
- Max Load with Standard 1" Arbor: 150 lbs. (68 kg)
- Max Load with Optional 1-7/8" Truck Arbor: 250 lbs. (113 kg)
- Spindle Travel: 6-7/8" (175 mm)
- Spindle Speed: 150 rpm - 200 rpm
- Shipping Weight w/ Bench & Tools: 688 lbs. (312 kg)
- Shipping Dimensions: 37'' x 46'' x 29'' (939 mm x 1,168 mm x 736 mm)
Browse for more products in the same category as this item:Tire Changers & Wheel Balancers > Ranger RL-8500 Combination Brake Lathe
Tire Changers & Wheel Balancers > Brake Lathes > Ranger RL-8500 Combination Brake Lathe
Top Brands > Ranger RL-8500 Combination Brake Lathe
Top Brands > Ranger > Ranger RL-8500 Combination Brake Lathe
BLACK FRIDAY DEALS! > Ranger RL-8500 Combination Brake Lathe